Online shopping is more popular than ever these days. Besides the numerous benefits it gives retailers, it does bring one source of constant headache: competition. Everyone tries to attract new visitors and turn them into repeat customers. How do you get ahead of your competition? By knowing exactly what your eCommerce customers want and creating a memorable shopping experience tailored to all of their needs.
In a recent survey, the team of Magento eCommerce platform has tried to find out exactly this – what eCommerce customers want from an online store. They interviewed shoppers from different countries and asked the following questions:
- Which perks do shoppers care about the most?
- What website features are important?
- Which policies would make eCommerce customers likely to purchase from a store?
Which perks do shoppers care about the most?
Giving your eCommerce customers additional perks to benefit from is always a good idea. However, an important thing to keep in mind here is that more is not always better. You have to strike a good balance between offering enough and offering something that would be actually useful. Let’s face it, offering $10 coupons in a car dealership will not do any good and will just look silly.
The trick is in focusing on perks that are actually important to eCommerce customers. Here is what the numbers say:
- Free delivery – 66%. Free delivery is a great way of attracting customers. Moreover, it will make them a lot more likely to come back to your store – everyone likes freebies. However, before offering free delivery, you need to analyze your business and make sure you can support it.
- Price – 56%. A fair price on the items you sell is a good way to get in good with your customers. Finding something on the Internet is easy these days. If people learn that you overprice your products – they will go elsewhere, and getting them to come back will be no easy task.
- Free returns policy – 53%. Offering free returns builds trust between you and your customers, and helps increase the number of completed purchases. In fact, 1 in 4 shoppers will abandon their cart if the store does not offer free returns. It is definitely something you should consider, as it can provide a great boost to your sales.
- Fast delivery (less than 5 days) – 40%. Though not as crucial as free delivery, fast delivery is also a feature that is valued by eCommerce customers. It is definitely not for everybody (businesses that import goods from overseas should probably avoid it), but it can be a real game-changer if you can implement it.
- Loyalty programs – 34%. Loyalty programs are quite popular among online stores. They are not as important to eCommerce customers as some of the other perks but can still be a great bonus to your website.
There are many perks you can offer your customers. Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket – experiment! Mix and match to find the best combination for your business.
What website features are important?
All the shopping your eCommerce customers do takes place on your website. The more convenient and easy-to-use it is – the higher the chances that they: a) complete their current purchase; b) have good memories about shopping in your store and will come back again in the future.
There are many website features that are important to shoppers:
- Ease of use – 53%. Let’s start with the obvious one – how easy it is to use your website. The more convenient and intuitive the shopping experience is – the better. This includes everything, from creating an account to browsing and completing an order.
- Page load time – 37%. Online shoppers are becoming less and less patient. On average, they will give a website 3 seconds to load before they “bounce”. Therefore, make sure to optimize it regularly and always aim for that 3-second mark (or even faster, if possible).
- Loads well on a smartphone – 29%. Mobile traffic has surpassed desktop traffic a while ago. A mobile-friendly website will greatly increase the chances of getting customers to come back to your store.
- Protection of personal data – 54%. Protecting the personal data of customers should be your top priority. Always monitor your website for any possible vulnerabilities or breaches. Picking a secure eCommerce platform and keeping it updated is also a good way of protecting your customers. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
When talking about important website features, payments deserve a separate mention. Most people are very careful when it comes to spending online and will pay (pun) especially close attention to the payment options of your store.
According to the survey, 36% of eCommerce customers will completely avoid a retailer that does not accept credit cards. Other payment options are also important to customers, namely, debit cards (34%), e-wallet (29%), and direct bank transfers (19%). Only 5% cared about paying with Cryptocurrency, so adding it is more of an option than a requirement.
Which policies would make customers more likely to purchase from a store?
The reputation that you build around your brand can often be a deciding factor for a completed purchase. According to the survey, 41% of eCommerce customers will consider buying from a store again based only on its reputation! That’s a lot of transactions…
What can help build your reputation besides useful perks and a smooth shopping experience? Policies that people care about. Among the more popular ones are minimized packaging (44%), transparency about where the products were sourced from (44%), not using single-use plastics (28%), and donating to environmental causes (27%).
Consider implementing some (or all) of these policies if they are applicable to your business. It can help build your reputation on the market and create a loyal customer base.
Now that you are armed with data from actual customers – use it to your advantage! And if you are looking for a reliable tech partner to help you introduce changes quickly and effectively – consider Forbytes. We have extensive experience in helping businesses reach their most ambitious goals.